TABLING OF THE 2022 ANNUAL REPORT OF THE OMBUDSMAN OF GATINEAU: PAVING THE WAY TO BETTER SERVICES
Gatineau, April 25, 2023. – The Ombudsman of Gatineau, Ms. Maryline Caron, presented her annual report to the elected officials of Gatineau’s Municipal Council. The present mandate is marked by an increase in the number of requests and by an improvement in the accessibility of the service offered to citizens.
THE YEAR 2022 IN NUMBERS
The increase in requests continues
- 224 requests were processed, compared to 214 (+5%) in 2021 and 170 (+32%) in 2020.
Satisfactory response times
- 92% of requests are processed in 30 days or less;
- 67% of requests are completed in 5 days or less.
A positive evolution of the type of requests
- 147 citizens received an information and referral service;
- 70 intervention files were processed compared to 58 in 2021 (+21%) and 35 in 2020 (+100%).
Top 3 reasons for complaints about municipal services
- Enforcement: 41 requests;
- Processing time: 32 requests;
- Policies, administrative procedures and standards: 19 requests.
Recommendations for service improvement
- 10 new recommendations were made to the Direction générale;
- 3 recommendations updated in 2022;
- 6 previous recommendations updated in 2022.
Several projects have been implemented and illustrate the importance that is given to the voice of citizens by the Office of the Ombudsman of Gatineau.
- Organization of a citizen consultation on the actions to be prioritized in the 2023-2025 operational plan;
- Evaluation of the operation of the Ombudsman de Gatineau by an independent firm;
- Creation of a video explaining the role and operation of the Ombudsman.
“In three years, the Ombudsman de Gatineau has seen a 53% increase in the number of requests. This is a good testimony to the fact that the actions put forward in the 2019-2022 strategic plan have had a positive effect, notably on the accessibility of services. We’re continuing the work,” declared the Ombudsman of Gatineau, Ms. Maryline Caron.
Annual report 2022 (in French only)
Promotional video (available April 25 at 10 a.m.)
Source : Maryline Caron
Ombudsman de Gatineau